was a hand-me-down
from my grandmother,
the paint-chipped surface
would hug your coffee
in the smokey blue haze
when the old man wouldn't-
couldn't.
There was love in that house
though I don't recall
ever feeling like I needed
to hear it then
like I do now,
it was everywhere-
it was in the ice cold pepsi-
the door that wouldn't open
from the seasonal shift-
in the soggy food dish
that was my husky's-
even the ghost of my mother
that haunted my father
until he found peace
through his most unforgiving battle.
I remember stepping over
the buckets upstairs
that would catch the water
from the leaky roof
and caring more about
the girl who wasn't calling me
than the slow erosion
of what had been the last place
that I can remember
calling home.
My father's voice echoes
within those walls
for me to slow down
not run
through the house.
Time was moving fast enough
for him
all he wanted
was to slow it down
just long enough
to hug me.
No comments:
Post a Comment