Saturday, November 3, 2007

Love Song

I remember now how cold winters can be here.
The wind has a presence, a certain motivation.
It can be violent-or subtle-or both.
Patiently, it will search out the cracks in your layers,
to find where you are most vulnerable.
My wine helps, or so it seems, at night
when my reflection's transparency is delicious.
To me, you are in hell-against all help to remove you-
yet I would stay there and burn for an eternity
if you walked me through.

Oh sweet one, why do we kid ourselves
and waste smiles on others we know
are unmatched?
Have we chased our dreams to safer deposits? Why?
Have you and I not learned yet
we were meant to be?
How many times must fate refill our glass
before finally bellowing last call?
Why exhale another breath
if it's not returned with your own against my face?

Neither is more to blame,
each has cast the other
aside at different times.

No comments: